Sunday, May 23, 2010

Bum steer

We're all worried about possible salmonella and E. coli contamination in our meats. But there's more to worry about: Heavy metals, drugs and pesticides. Did you know that regulators in Mexico are rejecting beef shipments from the U.S.?
Microbial contaminants can be killed by cooking, but chemical residues aren't destroyed by heat. In fact, some of these residues break down into more dangerous substances when heated, according to the FSIS National Residue Program for Cattle, a recent report by the USDA's Office of the Inspector General.
Sick dairy cows are given medications to help them recover, but if it appears an animal will die, it's often sold to a slaughterhouse as quickly as possible, in time to kill it before it dies. That way, "[the dairy farmer] can recoup some of his investment in the animal," according to the report.

In such cases, medications may be consumed along with the meat. Such drugs include Ivermectin (which can act as a neurotoxin in humans), Flunixin (which can damage kidneys), and penicillin (which can cause life-threatening allergic reactions in some people).
Meat from sick dairy cows is likeliest to end up between buns at your local fast food joint. Neurotoxins: Now you can have 'em your way.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I'm a liberal -- somewhere on the left, but not a "progressive" as that term is currently defined. I like Bill Maher, John McWhorter and Helen Pluckrose (but not her former writing partner). On CANNONFIRE, I offer a list of links to a whole bunch of other people I like.

I'm against ALL forms of Identity politics (a term invented by Nazis). I think extremists on both the right and the left pose a danger to democracy and to Enlightenment values.

Throughout most of the 21st century, I have worked under my middle name. Call me Joseph (unless you're a friend from the old days).

I've decided to use my first name -- my 20th century name -- when writing about non-political stuff. Why? Reasons.